Hammers clacking!

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Mon, 02 Jul 2001 22:09:41 -0500

Roger, et al,
comments below:

jolly roger wrote:

> At 02:34 PM 7/2/01 -0500, you wrote:
> >Re: Kawai console # M1541410  Model 706-1(I?)
> >
> >The hammers starting in the bass section and all the way to the
> >mid-tenor, make a clacking noise very much like what you hear when
> >bedding a key, but not as loud.  It is very uniform but diminishing as
> >it approaches the high tenor and sounds normal in the treble. Normal to
> >me is a soft thumping sound.   Again, the sound occurs when the hammer
> >strikes the string on a hard blow (as when tuning).
>
> Hi Warren,
>                  Is there too much after touch and the jack is clacking
> against the let off button rail?

That I didn't think of.

> Or the let off rail is loose.

Or that either.

> The key slip has been pushed in, and the keys are knocking.  Loose nose
> bolts.  Loose front rail.  Loose centre pinning can give the same effects.
> An obscure fault.  Front pins knocking inside the mortice.  This is usually
> accompanied by sluggish response.
> Is the piano well regulated?

Ha!  This is one of those where no one told her she needed to service it
regularly.  She's had it ten years or so and never tuned it.

> Regards Roger

I don't see how it could be glue joints, because there is too little variation
in the sound from note to note.  I'm going to take a good look at the keys and
letoff rail when I go back. Whatever it is seems directly connected to the
hammer because there is no delay between the string strike and the noise.

Thanks everybody for the brainstorm.  You forget things when you don't run into
them very often.

Warren

--
Warren Fisher RPT                   Beginners & Lurkers
fish@Communique.net                 Basic Pianotech discussed