Fw: Fw: Plate Finish, was Varsol

Erwinpiano Erwinpiano@email.msn.com
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 07:17:25 -0700

 Hi Diane

   Really it's ok.  Some times sandblasting is the easiest way to get =
off layers of bad paint jobs or japanning that is cracking/  I finding =
that there are so many products to build up a flat finish from the =
automotive sector and it doesn't take as long as you might think.  My =
nephew is an autobody whiz and is incredibly knowledgeable with product =
experience.

Thanks

Dale

----- Original Message -----=20
From: Diane Hofstetter=20
To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
Sent: Sunday, July 01, 2001 10:47 PM
Subject: Re: Fw: Plate Finish, was Varsol

Dale,

When I saw that you had tried sandblasting it, I immediately felt sorry =
for you!  I tried that once too and still remember the nightmare.  The =
base is too irregular from the casting and it took forever to build up =
enough new material to smooth it out again. Good luck!

Diane

Diane Hofstetter=20
245-M Mount Hermon Rd.#343=20
Scotts Valley, CA 95066=20
ph 831-438-6222=20
fax 831-430-9741=20
dianepianotuner@hotmail.com=20

>From: "Erwinpiano"=20
>To:=20
>Subject: Re: Fw: Plate Finish, was Varsol=20
>Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 20:32:16 -0700=20
>=20
>Hi Mark=20
>=20
> I'm aware of the many amazing properties of shellac but it just never =
occurred to me to try it in this application until you guys tweaked my =
duh! barrier. This might be my answer.I'm in the middle of a plate job =
that is a very long and arduous story.=20
> Thanks=20
>=20
> Dale Erwin=20
> ----- Original Message -----=20
you describe if you used shellac as your barrier coat. It is an =
amazingly reliable coating, sticks to anything, isolates contaminants, =
and provides a film that virtually any top coat will have good adhesion =
to, esp, if you use the dewaxed version.=20
>=20
> FWIW=20
>=20
> Mark Potter=20
> bases-loaded@juno.com=20
>=20
>=20
> On Sun, 1 Jul 2001 11:02:09 -0700 "Erwinpiano" writes:=20
> Terry=20
>=20
> Is the primer you use before spraying the laquer an enamel or just =
something compatible with laquer? Is your final result prone to =
chipping?, or does it stay a bit on the softer side and set up harder =
over time. (which I like) Just curious as I am experimenting with some =
different techniques including sandblasting to remove rust and animal =
urine then building back up with automotive productsof various kinds.Yes =
it's a pain but I've had some preexsistent stains return to discolor =
spots in my final topcoats over time.=20
>=20
> Dale Erwin=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> ----- Original Message -----=20
it is an excellent way to go. What I do use for my plates though, is =
grey (any color is fine I'm sure) metal primer that I buy at the =
auto-parts store. I just use it to hit areas that I have sanded through =
to the bare metal. Sand lightly after dry. Then I finish with spray can =
gold laquer. I like to just keep it simple. As long as I am using the =
spray can laquer for the finish, I find it very easy to use the spray =
can primer. I have had excellent results.=20
>=20
> Terry Farrell=20
> ----- Original Message -----=20
some thing else. Two great Nations separated by a common language. ( =
Churchill I think.)=20
>=20
>=20
> None of the paint stores I went to know what Varsol is......=20
>=20
> I bought a good quality gold enamel and one of those fill-it-yourself =
spray bottles. It looks much better except for the fish-eyes=20
>=20
> Using shellac for the first coat should prevent the fish eye. The =
oxidization is probably attacking the finish from below. Just a =
calculated guess. Some of the more expert finishers could probably give =
advice in this area.=20
> I have done one plate in this manner. The grey market Yamaha just 2yrs =
ago. The finish seems to be holding up OK. But more time will tell. =
Weather it will eventually eat it's way through again, I do not know. =
But I do know shellac can be a very effective sealer. Leave for several =
days to harden, before applying the finsh coat.=20