Upright Hammer Selection

Erwinpiano Erwinpiano@email.msn.com
Sun, 1 Jul 2001 11:37:37 -0700

Terry

    What I'm saying is that many old uprights that you've experienced a good
really sound with the original and not worn out hammers have hammer weights
significantly lower than the average garden variety replacement hammers from
any supplier. You've probably noticed some uprights where at least the top
30 notes have been tapered to reduce weight. Many makers did this. Why we
ask? As you say too much weight can choke the sound especially the ever
sensitive treble sections due to ,too much hammer contact time with the
string.
   Also in uprights as in grand pianos of the early 1900's the hammer
weights were lighter than modern hammer weights. I discovered this by
weighing old v.s. new hammers.  And hearing a darker sound out of
unenlightened sets of hammers that I have installed.

    What I hear you asking is what are the boundaries of light v.s.heavy
hammer weights. For example on a stwy O/L/M   note  c-4 in the bass is
typically around 8 grams.  My typical starting weight on the 14 l.b. sapele
hammers I use is about 10.5 grams.  That means removing the extra weight (if
I need to) and I can do it. But If my starting new hammer weight is 11grams
or higher I can't get down to it. I would probably except 8.5 if the action
could handle it but no more.
   Often I'm changing knuckle placement slightly or as is required thru
preliminary analysis to mitigate extra weight either for touch ,tone or
both. I log how many leads ,reg parameters, original touchweight etc. I
calculate the weight of every C note hammer( new and old) on every action we
do. Basically I,m trying take this actions "picture" before I decide on my
hammer weights. But after a while you can guess what you'll find.
   I can send you some samples spec.sheets if you like for comparative
information as I log each one.
  You sound like you might enjoy and go wild with an inexpensive gram
scale,I did. It changed my life.Pianotek has one for I think 100 ish u.s.
   All your other presuppositions are right on target. It will just take
more time and futzing for you to know how to manipulate hammer weights for a
desired outcome. Rule of thumb is most most all pianos will tolerate more
weight from note on to aboutC-5 or slightly higher then watch out. The tone
will often be slightly darker with more weight.

 Got to go. Best
  Dale Erwin