Swiffer

Wed, 28 Feb 2001 05:30:30 -0600

At 22:40 02/27/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi Mark -
>This is not first hand knowledge, but rather a report from a furniture
>conservator.  He is reluctant to use them on valuable furniture because
>he noticed that when he wiped his glasses with the electrostatic cloth it
>left a very visible and tangible film.
>
>Now, whether or not that would have a detrimental effect on piano strings
>is another matter.  Exactly what the film IS, I don't know.  And don't
>count on P&G spilling the beans!
>
>Mark Potter
>bases-loaded@juno.com

This topic came up at a recent chapter meeting and I suggested that those
who had the things at home should wipe them on some glass and see if they
smear. (My having swiffer might suggest that I actually do any cleaning...;-)

Thank you for reporting the results of such an experiment!!  With that
input, I would classify using swiffer (or equivalent rival products) in the
same category as wiping strings with oil.

VERBOTEN!

Let's see if I have that process right...
-Oily substance doesn't hurt strings, per se.
-Oily residue attracts dust.
-Dust retains moisture.
-Moisture begets rust.
-Rust on strings not good.
Therefore, oily substance not good.

Does anyone on the list have first-hand knowledge of this filming property
of swiffer?

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician -mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College, 700 College Drive, Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045
Voice-(319)-387-1204  //  Fax (319)-387-1076(Dept.office)

Education is the best defense against the media.