ETD Displays

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 18:20:26 -0600

on 2/27/01 2:29 PM, Richard Brekne at Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no wrote:

> Now think about this statement of yours Kent... and you may see what I am
> after... because that is exactly the point. Direct reference of already tuned
> notes, compared after reference to notes to be tuned.

> You misunderstand what I am after if you think this... grin...

I don't care if you want to think that I don't understand what you "are
after".

The fact remains that what you are after is not just a matter of
recalcitrant developers; what you are after would be extremely difficult to
execute, both technically, and in terms of the user interface. There is I
think only so much visual data that a tuner could make use of. I have
experience rigging multiple ETD's so as to tune from more than one partial
at once. I found the experience to be visually over-stimulating.

> I CAN force
> tunelab to show me what I want it to... but I have to go back and forth
> switching partials and re-referenceing them.... takes forever... all because
> the display is set up to show only one partial at a time.

Tuning is a breeze much of the time. Not all high treble unisons are wild;
not all bass strings are mismatched; not all tenor breaks have too high
inharmonicity plain strings next to too low inharmonicity wound strings on
the long bridge. When problems do come up, though, you can use today's ETD's
to find the best solution using multiple various partial levels, and it
doesn't take forever, or we wouldn't have time to sit at our computers and
argue about it.   :)

Kent