vertical damper springs

Ritchiepiano@AOL.COM Ritchiepiano@AOL.COM
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 18:45:37 EST

In a message dated 2/27/01 10:34:42 AM Eastern Standard Time, ilvey@jps.net
writes:

<< The question is how do you measure upright damper spring pressure?  Does
the spring gauge previously mentioned have a hook that comes in between the
hammer shanks and pulls on the spring to measure tension?  If too high in
comparison to the neighbors, one pushes in on the spring and re-measures?
Too weak:  spring out of groove and pulled between damper levers to
strengthen...This all seems doable ...

 David I.

David and list
I gave some more thought to my own question and came up
with an old postage scale. I hooked it to the damper wire
just above the lever and pull. The scale could quickly show
springs that were out of bounds, and it takes the key and
spoon out of the equation, allowing me to focus on just
the spring. The bass damper springs were way too strong
and uneven through out. The scale wasn't the best but the
number didn't count as much as getting them more even.
I may try to find a better gauge.
Thanks for the input
Mark Ritchie RPT