ETD Displays

Tue, 27 Feb 2001 13:06:25 +0100

(Grin... sorry,,, forgot to include the ascii art....er....hehe)

here it is

Think of the upper graph as representing the partials of the
upper octave.
  The lower graph as representing the lower note of the octave.

  2-1 Match leaves the 4-2 out of tune, the 6-3 worse and the 8-4
worst.
                      1             2         3
4                  8

|-------------|---------|------|-----|----|---|---|
       |--------------|-------|------|-----|----|---|---|
       1              2       3      4          6       8

  4-2 match leaves the 2-1 out slightly, but the 6-3 and 8-4 are
better
                       1             2         3      4

|-------------|---------|------|-----|----|---|---|
       |--------------|-------|------|-----|----|---|---|
       1              2       3      4          6       8

  6-3 match makes the 8-4 better, but the 2-1 and 4-2 worse.

                        1             2         3      4

|-------------|---------|------|-----|----|---|---|
       |--------------|-------|------|-----|----|---|---|
       1              2       3      4          6       8

  8-4 match leaves all the others worse.

                         1             2         3      4

|-------------|---------|------|-----|----|---|---|
       |--------------|-------|------|-----|----|---|---|
       1              2       3      4          6       8

Got to re-reading some posts from the last couple weeks and came
by one of  Jim Colemans contributions to the Natural Beats
thread. In this note Jim uses some ascii art to make a point
about partial matching that I will re print here.

Personally I could really get into an ETD that displayed tuning
information in a manner very similiar to this. The lower line
would represents the zeroed reference note (already tuned) and
the upper line the note presently being tuned. The lower line
then would always be still, and the upper line would vary
depending on the tuners movement of the tuning pin for that note.

Its easy (at least for me) to imagine this upper line sliding
back and forth as the pin is adjusted, at the same time listening
(and watching) for the "best" partial and "wholistic" match. Its
also very easy for me to imagine the usefullness of such a
display in learning / teaching about just what tuning really is.
Combined with present day curve graphs such a tool could be
invaluable as a teaching / learning / tuning aid.

Again I must say I fail to see why there is so much resistance to
multipartial displays amoung ETD authors. Isnt it time we move
past the dancing dial ?

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.