Ivory bleach brass/stains

Richard Wagner Rjwag@pacifier.com
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 18:20:39 -0800

I've only been barely following this thread, so forgive me if this advice
has already been mentioned.

I've had problems with brass clamps turning ivory (somewhat) green before
although never to the extent mentioned, and not only after bleaching.
However, it's my guess that the green color is indeed residue from oxidized
brass, and that the brass oxidization was accelerated by the prescence of
residual Hydrogen Peroxide on the keys.

Now here's where I really go and show myself up for the scientifically
UNDER-EDUCATED  experimenter that I am...

I think that brass oxidizing and turning green is the equivelent of iron
oxidizing and turning brown i.e., RUST (for lack of a better word.)
If this is true, the problem is that you have brass-rust stains on the
ivory to deal with.
If it were me, I'd go back to my first line of defense when trying to
remove strange stains of any kind from ivory, and sand them again rather
than trying to re-bleach or try other chemicals thus, potentially, adding
more variables to the problem.

Try to sand the ivory to below the level of the green stain, and see if
that gets rid of it.  If it does, buff it next and breath a sigh of relief...
If not (?)

Richard Wagner RPT