new legs. was Re: Samick leg bolts

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 22:14:03 EST

In a message dated 2/25/01 3:35:03 PM Central Standard Time, ilvey@jps.net
writes:

> Not long ago I got a call from a inexperienced tuner who couldn't figure out
> how to remove the action from a piano.

I had a similar situation, also with an inexperienced tuner, who also
happened to be female. (But that had nothing to do with the problem). It was
an old grand piano that someone had rebuilt. One of the thing the rebuilder
did was put on a new set of legs. Guess what? The cheeck block screws were
under the legs. The only way to get the screws out was to remove the legs. I
convinced the customer that I had to drill a hole into each leg, so that
future technicians could get the action out, if needed. She reluctantly
agreed, but only after I convinced her that the holes could not be seen if
one were standing in front of the piano.

Willem