Samick leg bolts

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 12:06:14 -0800

Not long ago I got a call from a inexperienced tuner who couldn't figure=
 out how to remove the action from a piano.  She had been called into to=
 fix some sticking dampers that the tech before her had screwed=
 up(according to the owner).  I went to the grand piano, which had just=
 been moved (big clue that didn't register right away) and for the life of=
 me also couldn't figure out how to pull the action.  The screws that=
 should have been under the cheekblocks were nowhere to be seen.  No screws=
 from the side through the cheekblocks or down from the back of the=
 cheekblocks...what gives?  After quite a bit (longer than it should have=
 taken...newer tuner looking on as the experienced tech [me] showed my=
 stuff syndrome) of futzing (spelling?), I noticed that the legs had a=
 notch on the back side towards the nose...Aha!  I lifted the piano and put=
 books on the bench to lift the business end of the piano up and turned the=
 legs around and darn! the legs fit but stuck out from the case a=
 bit...hmmmm...switched the bass and treble legs around and voila!  Those=
 darn movers....;-]  All of this with the owner hovering around us,=
 convinced that you couldn't find a good piano tuner anymore...holding her=
 breath when I set the piano on the books/bench...that was a bit nervy I=
 admit and could very well have been a disaster...hey, I took the bull by=
 the horns, so to speak.  Anyhoo, I pulled the action and manipulated the=
 sost. rod, which was catching some damper levers...(beforehand I asked the=
 tuner what she thought the problem with the dampers was?  She didn't have=
 a clue...the back of the keys were too close or something like that...she=
 learned some good lessons that day!  By the way I'm not being sexist=
 here...she was a female!  To end the story the customer wanted to send me=
 the $ for my work when she had received some $ from the previous=
 technician.  I don't think so lady!  Lots the gratitude I get for saving=
 the day.  She did grudgingly give me a check.

David I.