traveling/traveling/ traveling?

Vilsnyder@AOL.COM Vilsnyder@AOL.COM
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 23:28:11 EST

To Dale. List;
We believe that Shanks should be "traveled" prior to hanging Hammers.  Today,
we select a shank near the ends of each section & a Shank in the middle, mark
them with chalk & then "travel" those marked Shanks to be used as guides. The
lifting of the Shanks to determine travel is done by pushing up on the
Knuckle from underneath as this is least apt to distort the vertical travel, &
 then paper as
needed. Lifting the Shank from above with a hook will distort the Shank,
especially
with the lower friction on the Shank Centers, these days. Not all Shanks are
"traveled " straight up & down. Depending on the horizontal Hammer angle, the
Shank may be "traveled" 1 or 2 degrees Left or Right.  Once the sample Shanks
  are "traveled", a straight edge is used underneath all the Shanks in a
section and
and comparisonmade with the samples.  This helps to speed up the process.
After
the Hammers are glued on & dried, minor correction can be made by "burning".
A most critical part of the whole procedure is to carefully evaluate the
Centerpinning  &  weighing &  make corrections before  mounting.
Best regards,  Willis Snyder