Grand regulating

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 11:27:03 -0700

    Hi Louis,
    Right to your questions.
1) The only time I use key weights is when I'm leveling a Steinway  with the
accelerated action balance rail half dowel thingees.
2) Are you sure you even a let off rack?  I agree that with the regulation
as bad as you say it is, it might be easier to get things "in the ball park"
on a bench, but don't fool yourself into thinking that it'll be perfect when
you slide it into the action. You'll still have to make adjustments. The
Jaras tool is OK, as are the wooden ones, I would think.
3) I don't know about the cheek block hold downs, somebody else will
undoubtedly have that answer for you.

    Also, if you don't have one already, get a copy of the Technical Exam
Source Book. And on a job like this I would probably follow the 37 steps
recommended by Yamaha. On thing that I have seen some newer techs do that
you shouldn't, is don't give it the kind of regulation that you would on a
concert instrument, with tolerances so close that any change in climate can
make it too tight. That was the one criticism given me on my regulating
section of the exam. Well, more of a caveat really.
   Remember  that when setting the key height, that measurement is limited
by the cabinet parts; you don't want to set it on the bench only to find
that there is either too much of a gap between the keys and the fallboard,
or worse, that putting the fallboard in causes the hammers to rise. Ditto
with the key dip- key slip relationship.
    If you want to e-mail me privately on the complete regulation check list
that I use, I'll be happy to help you out.
    And since you live in Big Bear, stop by the Boulder Bay Cafe for an
excellent, healthy lunch sometime, Dan and Andreya are friends of mine.

Kevin E. Ramsey
ramsey@extremezone.com