traveling

Avery Todd avery@ev1.net
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 09:19:03 -0600

Hi Richard,

At 12:21 PM 02/24/01 +0100, you wrote:

>Avery Todd wrote:
>
> > Pris isn't saying that pre-traveling isn't a good way to do it,
> > necessarily. She's only saying that it isn't "necessary" because once
> the hammers
> > are hung, you usually have to go back and do a good bit of traveling
> anyway.
>
>This is fair enough. Question is whether its desirable or not to do it one
>way or
>the other. I suppose in the end thats going to end up being  up to the
>individual

My only thought here is that if the shanks/flanges you're using are going
to need a
good bit of traveling, hanging the hammers first with that method seems
like it
would be a good bit faster. No duplication of effort, i.e. traveling,
hanging, then
having to travel again. And in a factory setting, especially, speed (and
hopefully,
accuracy) :-) would be a big factor, I would think.

> > . I've bought pre-hung hammers and there is a lot of traveling and
> > burning to do once they are installed,
>
>No argument here... thats one of the reason I never buy prehung hammers.
>Yamaha
>and  Steinway included.

But as slow as I am at hanging hammers, especially on a jig, prehung is
"still" faster
for me. I've only used Wally's and I'm getting ready to install my first
set of prehung
from Yamaha.

 > P.S. Does E for Effort count? :-)

>Only if its an S.E.   :)

??????????? S.E.??????? Not familiar with this one.

Avery