key tops

Bob Tucker hicall@net66.com
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 16:38:54 -0600

Thanks, Matt.  I'm following a couple leads.  We'll see what turns up, =
eh?
Have a musical day,
Karen
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: RustRazor@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, February 23, 2001 4:05 PM
  Subject: Re: key tops

  Hi Karen:

  If you are a guild member, why don't you ask around at your next =
meeting. =20
  Piano techs, like myself who have done a number of key recoverings =
usually=20
  have amassed a collection of old ivory keytops for use in situations =
just the=20
  one you are in.  Ask if you can borrow a bucket of old ivories and =
just match=20
  them the best you can to the piano.  Sometimes you may have to file =
the edges=20
  of the ivory a little to fit the key.  I definately recommend removing =
the=20
  old glue from the key and ivory before gluing the replacement one on.  =
I=20
  don't know if keytop dimensions are on-file for 100 year old pianos =
and I=20
  suggest that trying to find the "correct" ivories that way won't get =
you very=20
  far.

  Good Luck, Matt