Verituner Update

Dave Carpenter dave@veritune.com
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 21:56:28 -0600

--- Greg Newell <gnewell@ameritech.net> wrote:

> 1) How far
> off does a piano need to be
> before double tunings are mandatory.

The Verituner never makes double tunings "mandatory". This is entirely up to
you and a matter of personal preference and experience.

> 2) In what way, if any, is a pitch raise feature
> employed and how does that work?
> 3) I use TuneLab and find that I can get embarrassingly
> close in one pass on a pitch raise. Could the potential
> users of your machine expect similar results?

Pitch raises are handled through the Coarse Tuning View, which is a needle
display. If you follow the suggested overpulls which are calculated for each
note, you will get close results.

> 4) I have become quite used to designing
> a tuning and then tuning chromatically. I've heard
> that a piano can be more
> stable this way. I then make changes (tweaks) at the
> end of the tuning. I will
> make corrections during if there are glaring
> problems but that is usually not
> the case with TuneLab. If someone like myself were
> to use your machine would
> they have to tune starting with A4 in order to
> guarantee 440 cps for that note?
> 5) Given the chromatic tuning style would the
> Verituner achieve enough in the
> way of measurements when starting in the bass? 6) Is
> there an optimum way to
> tune with regard to order of notes tuned?

Unless you are working from a stored tuning, starting from A0 is NOT a good
way to use the Verituner. Starting with A4 is important in order to get a
tuning calculated with the correct stretch to fit the piano. As for
guaranteeing 440, this is a separate issue and is not a problem - A4 is
always 440 (or whatever standard pitch you select).

> 7) You have stated that the Verituner
> is "comparable to or better than alternative ETD
> methods" and in several ads
> have placed your machine above them. Can you give
> and facts to support this
> other than feeling that your method is better than
> the others? Could one hear,
> in a tune-off for instance, a demonstrable
> difference between the efforts of
> your ETD verses the efforts of the 3 other prominent
> ETD's being sold today? Is
> there a way you can quantify your results as being
> "better" ?

I have not published at this time any comparison charts or tests showing the
results of Verituner tunings in a quantitative way. Hopefully something
along these lines will be published on our website in the coming months.

Dave Carpenter, RPT
Veritune, Inc.