Test your own hearing!

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner@hotmail.com
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 01:37:56 -0900

Are you interested in your hearing?

In memory of Bob Hofstetter, RPT, (1919-1996), _Safe and Sound_ will be
offering free hearing testing at the CA State PTG Convention.

Bob started tuning at 54 and became a Registered Craftsman under the old
test system.  Not satisfied to be "grandfathered in," he also passed the new
test. In those days he could hear those beats; in his latter
days, he could still hear them -- with hearing aids.

He bought his first electronic tuning device, a Sight-O-Tuner, when he
started having trouble hearing the high treble.  Then he bought a SAT I,
followed by a SAT II. Finally, he went through a succession of hearing aids
as
his hearing loss progressed.

Let's try to keep this from happening to us if we can. The only preventive
measures now known to work are wearing hearing protection when in noisy
environments (while tuning, etc.), good nutrition, avoidance of certain
medicines, and frequent monitoring.

After years of searching, we have finally found a way for a person to
monitor his own hearing accurately and throughout a wider frequency range
than audiologists test.  This new test equipment was created for sound
engineers and tests the frequency ranges from 60 Hertz to over 20,000 Hertz.

It will be available for you to check out your hearing at the CA State PTG
Convention.  There will also be a class on hearing with the inventor of the
equipment present. There will be an opportunity for you to join in a
research project on what the dangers actually are, and what hearing
protection actually works.  If you wear earplugs while tuning, you might
bring them with you so you can test your hearing with them in also.

Hope to see you there!

Diane

Diane Hofstetter
245-M Mount Hermon Rd.#343