String massage

thepianoarts thepianoarts@home.com
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 23:23:37 -0500

 Ola,

I use the brass rod method in setting unisons in pianos that don't render
well. One note: rubbing and pushing down on the wire will lower the pitch.
Some of this change is caused by heat, allowing the wire to stretch, and
lower in pitch.  It is quite dramatic how the pitch will change from
rubbing. Don't be fooled...the pitch will creep back up, within abount a
minute.

Dan Reed

Dallas Chapter

Ola wrote:

Can it help me to stabilise the pressure of the speaking and nonspeaking
areas if I massage the string? Espessially in the last one and a half
octave. Will it save me time and give me a more stabile result? I've tried
it and noticed the string reacts alot to it.

What part of the string do I start with and how much massage is needed?

Many Thanks

Ola Andersson

The Reply was

>> I had to pitch raise and tune a Rippen today!
>> My question is:
>> Because of the  long "non speaking" area of the string next to the pins.
>>(Sorry for my bad explaination but I'm exhausted) you know what I mean. How
>>is the best way of doing this on a Rippen (pitchraise + tune)? I suppose you
>>done some?

>My way, could be, pitch raise first, gentle of course, then press down? and
>strike all the wire from the hitchpins to the tuningpins to loose all the
>rusty points where the wire sticks to the pins and
>Then press the sustain and BANGG all the keys to equal all the
>tensionpartials.
>Well I could do it this way i think.

Rudyard,