Steinway plate holes

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 22:38:53 -0600

>There are two principal reasons for this difference in tuning pin hole
>preparation in the Steinway scales. The first is the closeness of the
>holes (overlapping countersinks) in the center section. The second is
>strength. Some of the scales have been prone to failure in this area over
>the years and the small additional material helps strengthen the web.
>Hope this helps clear up some of the mystery!
>
>Bob Beck

Additional material...??? --- Scale failure??? --- As a result of what?? -
Not removing the existing plate webbing in the low tenor by countersinking
the holes ???????????????????? Sorry Bob, you lost me altogether here. OK,
I admit it, I'm kind of old and slow and don't get it at all. Please
elaborate for the folk(s?) in the cheap seats.

Ron N