Steinway plate holes

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 21:24:47 -0600

>...This is not just on a D. All Steinways have this...
>Willem

>There are two principal reasons for this difference in tuning pin hole
>preparation in the Steinway scales. The first is the closeness of the
>holes (overlapping countersinks) in the center section. The second is
>strength. Some of the scales have been prone to failure in this area over
>the years and the small additional material helps strengthen the web.
>Hope this helps clear up some of the mystery!
>
>Bob Beck

Wim, Bob, List,

Pretty interesting explanation, Bob, but it must be applicable only on the
Ds'.  This phenomena does not appear on  1 A, 2 Bs', or 2 Ms' I checked.
It does, however, appear on 2 Ds'.  It was Willem's comment that made me
decide to look at some Steinways.

Interestingly enough though, the countersunk pin holes get much more
dramatic towards the treble on the Ds'.  And there is a small degree of
countersunk holes evident on downward to the bass/tenor break.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Piano Technicians Guild