Steinway plate holes

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 17:21:10 -0600

>> Tradition.
>>

>> Conrad
>

> Is this the real reason, or just your opinion of why they holes are recessed?
>

> Wim

That would be a yes, and a no. The holes are almost certainly *still*
countersunk because of tradition, but there had to have been some sort of
reasoning behind having done it in the first place and establishing the
tradition - whatever we might think of the reasoning now. I've wondered about
it too, and didn't see it listed among Steinway's patents. Seems like they
would have been proud enough of doing something to no apparent purpose that
takes extra time in the manufacturing process to make a marketing point of it.

Ron N