Power Sanders and Ivory Keys

Piesik, John (JPIESIK) JPIESIK@arinc.com
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 13:23:37 -0500

Does anyone out there have any experience with sanding and polishing ivory
keytops with a palm-type orbital power finishing sander?

I'd like to learn of your experiences with power sanders, which power sander
models are best (Bosch vs Makita, variable speed controls, pad shapes, motor
amps, weight, etc), etc. Also, how well do power sanders work at polishing?

The main objective is to keep the heat produced by friction to a minimum
(heat compromises the keytop glue joint). I've long ago discovered that
working by hand is the safest way to work with ivory while providing the
most control. However, of course, it's also the most laborious method. But,
just maybe there's a better/quicker way...

Many Thanks,
John Piesik, RPT
Oceanside, CA