Virgil's beatless octaves.

Kevin S. Riggs lobeliac@ipass.net
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 22:29:53 -0500

Hi folks,
 I've been reading this thread for a while and must be a little confused
(relative newbie).
If a single strings' partials have inharmonicity, theoretically it seems
like it should
beat on its' own. Unless something is astray I only hear one beatless
tone. So something,
maybe the phase relationship, cancels out the beats. Why should it be
hard to believe that
the same thing can be accomplished when tuning an octave? When my
octaves are tuned so that
I hear no beat, none of the coincident partials are necessarily pure.
But it sounds better
to myself and my customers tuned in that fashion. May be a bit
simplistic but I would
greatly appreciate any attempt to enlighten me. Any takers?

Thanks, and have a great day!
Kevin S. Riggs
NC associate