Melodian help

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 08:10:06 -0500

At 06:57 PM 02/14/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>A prospective customer called the other day, asking that I repair the bellows
>of an antique melodian. I was recommended to them because I used to do a lot
>of player piano rebuilding.
>
>I do not think I have ever seen a Melodian, and would like any information
>about how difficult it would be for a player technician to rebuild/recover
>the main bellows. ( customer's diagnosis)
>
>Anyone know anything about these instruments, or might have worked on them?
>
>This is a keyboard instrument, apparently with reeds,  at which someone sits
>and pumps pedals for vacuum /or pressure, NOT the hand operated
>accordian-like instrument.
>
>Thank you for any information.
>
>Bill Simon
>Phoenix

Routine methods for covering bellows. It will be relatively simple for
someone with
pneumatic experience.

The thing you really have to be careful about...once word gets out, you'll
see more
and more of them.

If some reeds do not sound, chances are that there is dust in the tine.  If
a replacement
tine is needed I can send you in the right direction.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net