brightness of Steinways

Erwinpiano Erwinpiano@email.msn.com
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 21:18:32 -0800

  Hi Andy

   I think it's important to remember that the  way N. Y. Steinway sound =
as far as we know has been developed thru the use of a resilient/soft =
hammer reinforced or stiffened with solutions of different concoctions =
and most importantly when the voicing is done by a skillful voicer the =
results in my opinion are truly amazing .  Conversely when done in the =
opposite manner ,well not so good.

  Must agree with the others that it's your piano and you can pay to =
have an expert voice it in any manner you prefer, with a word of caution =
and explanation.  If the tech. gives you all the  brightness  you think =
you  want right now, which means perhaps applying  lacquer in such a way =
that the sound comes right up to the edge, as the piano is played in and =
the lacquers set more solidly with time, the tone may cross a line into =
which  it is hard to return from.   Any tech. skilled in this type of =
voicing procedure will tell you this. =20

    Bringing the tone up towards a brighter  spectrum ( really it's just =
more frequency balanced)is incredibly beneficial and musically =
satisfying.  And at this point the Steinway piano has incredible tonal =
resources.  BE PATIENT at this stage and play the piano ,break it in.  =
Let the tone come up the rest of the way thru string compaction and =
seating.  You end up with a sound that is not brittle or metallic. =20

   The piano will be more voicing stable and require less voicing =
gymnastics to keep it sounding Fantastic!! =20

    Dale Erwin
    Erwin Piano Restoration
    Modesto, Calif.