Melodian help

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 17:09:08 -0700

I've rebuilt a couple of these.  Their history dates back to the 1700s onward.
The first one I did was W.W.II era military issue painted the traditional olive
drab.  This was sort of the same idea as the infamous military steinway
uprights.  The military melodeons were sent to field locations for army
chaplains to conduct services.  They folded up into a suitcase type box, very
compact.  If you didn't no better you would think it was luggage.  The other one
I rebuilt was from the civil war era.  It belonged to a lady who told me stories
that her great grandparents had passed down that the instrument was purchased
new by her family and literally lugged around on a cart that was used for
carrying cannon balls.  Odd that both melodeons I worked on were related to war.

Anyway they are basically very small read organs, typically a single rank about
3 1/2 octaves or so.  There really isn't too much to them. Just a pair of
pumping bellows, (sometimes just one large one operated by one foot), a
reservoir, and a combination read/valve chest.  The mechanics are simple.  It is
a pressure instrument so stiffeners are required in the pump.  The pump uses
ordinary player type flap valves.  Use basic light read organ pump cloth.  If
you decide you want to try and tune it, beware.  Many of these old instruments
have very brittle reeds and you risk breaking one.  Use hot glue only
throughout.  I wouldn't charge any less than you would to rebuild a player pump,
and possibly more if the valve chest needs work.  You may discover that the
valves, (typically pallet type), need new leather.  I would leave the price open
ended so that the customer knows that there could be some extra expenses.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV