ETD question re: unisons

Charles Neuman cneuman@phy.duke.edu
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 13:47:21 -0500 (EST)

"David M. Porritt" <dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu> wrote:
> Howard:
>
> Yes, it is easy to check with an ETD, and yes on some notes there is a
> drop.
> Why???? I have no idea!

I noticed that effect using a cheap chromatic guitar tuner. Since I was
tuning my piano when it needed a pitch raise (it has since stablized after
several tunings), I didn't make much of it. But I still notice the tuner
flickering to the "flat" side sometimes when I measure with all three
strings.

Now, the question is whether the note is actually flat, or whether the
electronic device gets confused somehow. I'd like to see it measured on a
$20,000+ oscilloscope.

Charles Neuman