pitch drop :was Virgil's natural beats

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 14:55:24

"furry" Ron & Keith wrote:

>Pitch drop happens, but I'm not convinced it is often much of a factor in
>the actual tuning of actual pianos.

Maybe, maybe not. This goes back to your assumption that this drop probably
happens throughout the scale. Pending further evidence to the contrary, I'd
tend to conditionally agree (though I don't have any data to support the
assumption, I don't see any compelling reason the same phenomenon shouldn't
work at all frequencies).

<snip>
ok guys and gals,

We kindof touched on this last year, and were guessing? about sound
board/killer octave stuff.  The drop does NOT happen evenly throughout the
scale, and is measurable.  I notice it mostly from about A4 to A6.  Easy
with a good EDT, just glance at the display and re-adjust as needed on the
final pass. Unfortunatly, some guesswork is required as the drop is not
even.  I really think my work with alternate temperaments has made me more
sensitive to micro-adjustments.  Every little bit really DOES matter!

Since most of the 'challenge' in fitting a tuning to the piano seems to
happen below A4, I've taken to starting the final pass around A5 and working
my way down, finding the octaves that work best with that piano.  The upper
framework is in place for checking doubles, etc..  Honestly, some pianos
literally walk the razor's edge in what will work and what almost works,
(i.e.  school Baldwin uprights) while some others give the tuner more
latitude to 'create' a tuning.
(shameless plug to follow)

RCT allows for multiple calculations based on tuning using different
partials throughout the piano.  I have found that by having a few different
tunings calculated, I can switch back and forth between partials, to find a
tuning that 'works' for most pianos.  This is especially usefull around the
tenor/bass break.

Other EDT users:

Do you pre-check your calculated tuning before you start?  I've found it
helpful to quickly tune one string of all the A's to get the octave ladder
"right" before starting the grunt work.  I want them all to 'sing' together
and support each other.  Check it out!

Ron Koval

Chicagoland

.