Whacking

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 16:09:33 +0000

       I think an important aspect for protecting oneself and the piano
is to sense letoff.   Avoiding smashing the key needlessly into the
punching with great weight and ferocious force will  insure less body
wear and punching wear.  A fast double strike (about a tenth of a second
between strikes) using a bouncing action yields a faster hammer string
blow,  the one that counts.  It does break jacks, shanks,  and strings
occasionally though.
-Mike Jorgensen
A user of firm/fast test blows.