action bedding

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 07:58:05 +1100

--============_-1230111001==_ma============
I use a dial indicator gauge for many measurement tasks in our
workshop. While adjusting bedding screws back in 1987, an idea
occurred to me which has since proven to be perhaps the most accurate
and fast method for this operation.

Included below is a description of this technique which I wrote in 1996;

Setting bedding screws with a dial gauge.

In 1987 I developed a method for setting the bedding screws (glide
bolts) with a micrometer dial gauge. This method is extremely
accurate, and much faster than the traditional 'tapping' method. With
the action and keys fitted to the key frame in the piano, the glide
bolts are wound up so that they clear the key bed. The dial gauge
(mounted in a suitable piece of wood, see diag.) is placed on the
keys at the balance rail, adjacent to the first glide bolt.

The dial gauge plunger will be compressed by the pin block (the
reading is unimportant). The glide bolt is adjusted down until the
dial gauge reading just starts to move, and until the precise point
of contact of the glide bolt with the key bed is determined. This
procedure is repeated for the other glide bolts. The adjustment of
all bedding screws will take no longer than 5 minutes.

Regards to all,

Ron O
--

_________________________