action bedding

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 08:09:47 -0500

Hi Howard. I enjoy your posts - I can hear you saying these things when I
read them. You have such a delightfully serious - "I'm asking because I
care" - tone to your questioning voice!

I won't go into detail ('cause I'm still in the learning phase), but you
will get a number of posts on the following technique - it is the way to go.

You check the front and back rails by tapping with a rod to evaluate
contact - pretty standard. The trick is to develop a similar technique with
the base of the palm of your hand for the center rail. You reach in, placing
your forearm somewhat parallel to and over the center rail and tap in the
area of the glide bolts with your hand. Raise the bolt up until you hear
light knocking from your palm tapping (you know you are to high) then ease
it down until you just eliminate the knocking. There you have your glide
bolt just in contact with the keybed, in much the same manner as the
strip-of-paper test, but only much easier. When you get good at this you can
adjust your glide bolts in just a few (maybe two?) minutes - I know because
I have seen technicians other than me do it! I'm still working at it. I keep
slamming my hand on the center pins - ouch!

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com