Sostenuto vs Indidivual sustain

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 21:13:23 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: Tom Cole <tcole@cruzio.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2001 8:07 PM
Subject: Re: Sostenuto vs Indidivual sustain

the dampers of every note that you play. Wouldn't that be the same as
what the sustain pedal effectively does? Unless you are looking for a
simpler sound (limited sympathetic interplay)?

Tom Cole

YES, That is exactly it.   The sustain pedal sustains too much.  Then the
sypmathetic vibrations of all the open strings "muddies"  up the sound.
However, until an indivdual sustain pedal is heard there can't really be a
comparison.   Perhaps it won't make that much of a difference.  But I think the
real advantage will be using the sostemuto with individual sustain to get around
that maddening aspect of not pressing the sos pedal soon enough, or too late.
It requires too much attention which takes away from playing.
Besides in the 21 century the piano is ready to evolve to 4 pedals.  Pique a new
interest in the piano.     ---ric