Key Whakker/Thumper

John R Fortiner pianoserv440@juno.com
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 19:08:23 -0700

OK, I've simply got to tell the list what I have been using for the past
year - and very successfully.  Let me preface this by stating that I was
forced to do something because of arthritis and dupuytren's contracture
both occurring to one degree or another in both hands - not a good thing
for a person that was a piano major through UCLA's music school.
My "thumper" started as a ski pole.  I cut off all but about the top 1/2"
of the pole leaving a ski pole grip that was already ergometrically
designed.  As I wanted it a little larger in diameter I wrapped this with

3/16" closed cell self-adhesive foam tape, topped off by foam backed
bicycle handlebar tape.  Comfortable - YES!!!  Epoxy a short length of
dowel into the remaining short pole that is still in the grip and follow
that with a piece of hammer felt, followed by a small piece of buckskin
or other leather.  You don't have to "beat" the keys as the weight of the
thumper will do it for you.  Other side benefits:  If you are tuning an
upright the height of the grip effectively "raises" the keyboard several
inches so you aren't reaching quite as far between your two hands.  All
in all, it takes a lot of stress off your body.  Bear in mind that our
finger joints are some of the smallest we have and yet we are asking them
to hold up under very strenuous work when playing the piano or when
tuning.  I know this has really helped me and hope it helps someone else
out there.
fwiw My occupational hand therapist told me that between that "thumper"
and a pair of weight lifter's gloves that have wrist wraps built into
them I had come up with what she considers the "cat's meow" when it came
to protecting my hands.
btw. Ski poles can be had for next to nothing at second hand stores.  I
paid $2.00 for the pair.

John R. Fortiner
Billings, MT.
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!