Reconditioning of ebony keys

Erwinpiano Erwinpiano@email.msn.com
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 13:20:06 -0800

  Hey List

       In our shop we (My wife Trix actually) do a lot of ebony
reconditioning,crud scraping and layers of paint removal.  The other day she
was saying " I wonder if there is a better, faster ,different way to do this
and suggested this post.  I(She) would be interested in any discussion on
this topic.

      We like the appearance and feel of nicely cleaned black ebony sharps
but sometimes after all the residues are removed the sharps are not really
black anymore.  Is some ebony naturally blacker and if not what do you all
like to do to get them back to black without having the dye or whatever YOU
may use to color them come off on the piano players fingers!!!!!!  I guess
that the Shop Queen spends at least 2 to3 hrs of finger numbing work ( and
sometimes more) to get them clean.  Please, I know when to put on new ones
so don't go ther please.

      So is Ebony  feeling Sharp  enough to reply???????

        Dale Erwin
        Erwin Piano Restorations
        Modesto, Calif