Hunting the Natural Beat

Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 15:36:14 EST

John, list:
I have been thinking about Virgil's approach for several years, and with him
here in Chicago, we get a lot of his thoughts more directly!

While I have a lot of disagreements with the language and the logic of
Virgil's arguments, one thing is certainly incontrovertible--his octaves are
pretty nice. But what I see being avoided in the attempt by him and everyone
to define "natural beat" or the lack of beats is the fact that an octave with
no beats is physically impossible. This does not mean that the aural effect
can be near to beatless, but that if you really know what is going on in that
interval, there are still going to be beats between coincident partials at
some point in the spectrum of harmonics.

The direction my thinking has gone in to attempt to understand what Virgil is
saying (since he can't make me understand) is to draw from the psychoacoustic
theory of speech recognition where, to be brief, we recognize voices by way
of what are called formant sound, which may be only the first two or three
major structures in the voice pattern which are used for recognition
purposes. As Juan Roederer says in Intro to Physics and Psychoacoustics of
Music, "A broad resonance region that enhances the upper harmonics lying in a
fixed frequency range is called a formant. A musical instrument (its
resonator) may have several formants. It is believed that formants, i.e. the
enhancments of harmonics in certain fixed, characteristic, frequency
intervals are used by the auditory system as a most important signature of a
complex tone in the  process of identification of a musical instrument". What
this means is that Virgil is selecting out the most characteristic
(strongest) harmonic structures to listen to in each note of the interval of
the octave and then matching them as closely as possible. The resulting
interval will sound out with slightly more amplitude than an interval tuned
wider or narrower; but the fact remains that, although the ear can elect to
hear to these sounds as ONE, they are in fact not, but groupings of selected
(voiced) partials acting as a "single" formant tone. While they may appear to
be perfectly tuned, they are not, and while just they are appearing to be
tuned, the rest of the partial spectrum is beating at coincident partial
levels above that.

Does this make any sense to anybody? So far, it's the only conjecture that
makes sense to me. Thoughts, any and all.
Paul Revenko-Jones