Grey Market

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Fri, 09 Feb 2001 10:50:04 -0700

At 08:03 AM 2/9/2001 -0500, Terry wrote:

>humidities (RH) will tend to be high. And MOST of Europe is similar climate
>to MOST of mainland USA (and hey, isn't there Disney in Paris?). There may
>not be a Florida, but MOST of the continent is warm and humid in the summer
>and cold and variable humidity (dry to moist) in the winter (meaning high
>indoor humidities in summer and low humidities in winter).

Most of the continent doesn't use central heating and air either, from what
I understand. Same in Japan. That's what kills the pianos, not the climate.

>Given your concern about tying temperature in, even London is likely more
>like Detroit than Florida in the life of a piano - even though it is always
>raining in England - because the heat goes on in homes in the winter. The

The heat goes on in space heaters and wood stoves though. Mind you, that's
changing slowly as central HVAC becomes more popular.

>The bottom line is that before the 1970s, when Yamaha was selling most of

Point of order. My father became a Yamaha dealer here in Alberta in 1961
because he was impressed about how they had mostly fixed the problems with
the dryness here and were making a piano that would be reliable in our
climate, so it was earlier than the 70s. I look after an almost-perfect
1962 G7 in a recording studio that he sold back then that's as good or
better than any 40 year old domestic grand.

                 John

John Musselwhite, RPT    -     Calgary, Alberta Canada
http://www.musselwhite.com  http://canadianpianopage.com/calgary
email: john@musselwhite.com    http://www.mp3.com/fatbottom