Grey Market

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 08:03:50 -0500

Yes, I was, but let's be a little realistic here. (My comment here are based
on my recollection of geography education from.....well, a few years ago - I
couldn't find a geography textbook in my son's bookbag.) MOST of Japan is
SIMILAR to Florida in that it is relatively humid for most of the year and
does not experience extreme dry periods. Therefore, indoor relative
humidities (RH) will tend to be high. And MOST of Europe is similar climate
to MOST of mainland USA (and hey, isn't there Disney in Paris?). There may
not be a Florida, but MOST of the continent is warm and humid in the summer
and cold and variable humidity (dry to moist) in the winter (meaning high
indoor humidities in summer and low humidities in winter).

Yes, MC would be better to talk about, but who goes up to wooden objects and
prods them with probes? Don't do it to my piano! But regarding the effect of
temp of humidity, it doesn't matter too terribly much for pianos because
(excluding an outdoor performance in April in London, or in Death Valley in
February) we are MOST often dealing with a typically small range of room
temperatures. The temperatures of the natural environments only come into
play with their effect on the RH in the piano's indoor environment (and if
you leave the piano outside, it won't be around long enough for anyone to
yaak about anyway!).

How this play out is like this: I grew up in Detroit - Roger Jolly lives in
Saskatoon. Both get cold in winter. Saskatoon is almost always LOW humidity
outside in winter. Detroit is low humidity for the 3 sunny days in winter
and can be high (above 70% RH) on cloudy winter days. BUT when Roger or
Derek turn the heat on in the house, the RH goes from 15% outside to 5%
inside. In Detroit, indoor heat will take the RH from 70% outside to perhaps
20% inside (just giving common numbers off the top of my head - but I think
they are realistic). So yes, climate varies here and there, but on the
whole, MOST of mainland North America is humid inside homes in the summer
and dry in the winter (on the whole, much like MOST of Europe).

Given your concern about tying temperature in, even London is likely more
like Detroit than Florida in the life of a piano - even though it is always
raining in England - because the heat goes on in homes in the winter. The
outside RH in England is likely similar to that of Florida. But, because
folks turn the heat on in the winter in England, but do not in Florida, it
is likely drier for pianos in the winter in England than it is in Florida.
But I'm sure not as dry as Saskatoon!

The bottom line is that before the 1970s, when Yamaha was selling most of
its pianos in Japan, they seasoned the wood to perform well in a generally
moist environment - the pianos did not commonly experience prolonged periods
of RHs less than perhaps 30% to 40%. Then pianos got imported in the `970s
and went into homes in places like Phoenix, Denver, Saskatoon, and
Minneapolis (and even NY, NY). Pianos get blasted with the 10% RH for a few
months. Pianos crack and fall apart. Yamaha then switches gears and dries
the wood of pianos destined for these areas (read North America) a little
more so that they won't crack and fall apart so easily. Maybe this is why I
see so many pressure ridges in Yamahas in Florida?

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com