Grey Market

Fri, 09 Feb 2001 09:05:53 +0100

jolly roger wrote:

> >My main beef is with dealers that will tell a customer that the piano came
> from Vancouver, implying it was a Canadian market piano. They are not quite
> lying since it was unloaded from the boat in Vancouver docks. The other
> senerio is that it was traded in on some inferior brand of piano. This is
> just bear faced lies.
> Typically this type of dealer does nothing to the instrument, and quickly
> doubles his money.
> If I had to resort to this type of marketing, I would be out of retail in a
> flash.

There you have it Roger. I gotta aggree. The basic dishonesty (I will go so far
to call it that) surrounding these things is what really peeves me. Comes in
just about every shade too. What ever it takes to dump the piano on the market.
I remember about 30 years ago a whole shipload of old English overdampers
popped up in the Northwest US. (Perhaps other places as well) Basically the
same story with a few twists.

Ah...well... if people are stupid enough to buy into this kinda thing then I
suppose they deserve it. I suppose that sounds a bit harsh.  I know I know...
its not a perfect world...grin.

> ALL pianos from my stores are fully prepped, with an after sales package.
> And that is the way it will continue.
> If we cannot offer a 5 yr warranty on a used grand, it is sold as is with
> full disclosure, right on the price tag.

Good for you Roger. I bet in the long run it pays off big time. Happier
customers and less headaches.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.