Wood Dimensional Changes, was: Grey Market

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu, 08 Feb 2001 23:42:43 -0600

Hi Terry,
              Moisture will not shrink the leads. The pins were very loose
and noisy, just 20 plus years of hard playing, I suppose. It's an
understatement to call our winter climate dry.
When ever I replace dampers, I always do a complete service of the under
levers. It's easy with the dampers out, but hell when the piano is
assembled and in the field.
Probably some compression of the wood, when the lead was spread. The
moisture content maybe dropped pass a critical point, hence the loose lead.
But this is just a guess.
i look at one of the rebuilds last week and all is fine and stable. FWIW.
Roger