rim supported soundboards tesnion resonator rods

Thu, 8 Feb 2001 10:11:39 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Moody" <remoody@midstatesd.net>
To: "piano tech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: February 07, 2001 11:19 PM
Subject: Re: rim supported soundboards tesnion resonator rods

> Me do it?

Yes, you. You'll never learn all of what you want to know by depending on
others to do your dirty work for you.

>     Besides there is that famous M&H (?) demo model, the one with a piece
of
> soundboard with a tuning fork attached in the middle.  When the thumb
screw
> (acting as a tension resonator bar) is tightened forcing a crown (the
board to
> bow) the fork suddenly sounds louder.   This I speculate a young Mr Gertz
heard
> and came up with idea of the tension resonator. Of course if a
proportionate
> amount of the arch of the demo were put into a piano the crown might be a
LOT
> more than it is.  ---ric

That demonstration model is utterly meaningless as applied to the real-world
piano. Unless, of course, your piano uses just one note and the tone is
generated by a tuning fork attached to a very small soundboard that is
adjustable so as to make the system resonant at the specific frequency of
the tuning fork. The music would be some boring with just the one note, I
should think.

Del