Warped Shanks

Ward & Probst wardprobst@cst.net
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 21:58:09 -0600

Brian,
If you wet the area you are heating there will be no burn marks. As you heat
the area, the moisture steams the wood and makes "casting the shanks" easier
particularly on delicate shanks or parts. Hope I used the phrase correctly,
it is quite a bit nicer than burning!
Best,
Dale
Dale Probst, RPT & Elizabeth Ward, RPT
Texoma International Chapter
http://texoma.int.chapter.tripod.com

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Brian Lawson
Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2001 1:40 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Warped Shanks

A point of note re the term "burning shanks"... in England I grew up with
the term "to cast a shank"... meaning to "turn" (as you would cast a sail).
It may be, depending on the dryness of the shank that you end up with odd
one or two having burn marks, but that is a result of the conditons, not the
direct intention of the exercise.

Brian Lawson, RPT
Johannesburg, South Africa

TEXOMA CHAPTER