Poor man's adjustable plate screws...

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 14:45:51 -0500

Hi Newton,

What I was thinking was that the lock nut could be placed maybe 3/4" or so
down the piece of threaded rod, leaving a bit of rod to come up through the
plate hole.  And the slot in the top of the rod (ground? cut?  hadn't
figured that one out yet) would be for adjusting with said behemoth of a
screw driver or brace & bit.  Then when it's all set, the plate is sitting
on the lock nuts, then there would be enough of  rod up through the plate
holes to stick those  acorn nuts on, holding it all in place.  As for
clearance under the plate, that could be drilled out of the rim with say a
5/8"?? or so X 1/2" or so deep hole where the bolt goes.  (Just speculatin'
or is that expectoratin') <grin>  That's what my feeble little brain cell
was feverishly trying to spew out.  (Probably as clear as mud.)

I don't know how well a course machine thread  might or might not grip in a
rim.  I thought I heard that other people were using that type of thing with
good success.  I could be wrong.

Hope no one's taking this as gospel, I'm just tossin' out an idea or two,
seeing where it goes.

That being said, now I do have to get to work.  Shop projects are calling.

Thanks Newton.

Brian
btrout@desupernet.net