Sostenuto regulation

Wed, 07 Feb 2001 09:53:47 -0600

Keith,
At 08:53 02/07/2001 -0600, you wrote:

>Ed, Conrad, List,
>
>Thank you for this additional information.
>
>For my benefit, let me be certain I understand your comments.
>
>With the damper and sostenuto system properly regulated, with the sostenuto
>pedal purposely engaged, and for some reason the damper stop rail is not
>regulated properly, but is set at its highest point, then any piano playing
>during this time that has strong blows can cause other notes to hang up on
>the engaged blade, that is, on the models that don't have the tabs with the
>springs.
>
>This is what you are saying, yes?

Yes.

That situation can occur on any piano (with sostenudo) if there is no limit
to the damper pedal travel, heavy footed pedalling, and an upstop rail not
firmly held in place.   The damper tray/underlevers slowly bump the upstop
rail up and up until not only are the sostenudo tabs able to sneak by, but
there is a nasty kickback to the fingers of the flying dampers landing back
on the ends of the keys.

Conrad Hoffsommer - mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu

Anything in parentheses can(not) be ignored.