Grey Market etc.

Wed, 07 Feb 2001 08:42:16 +0100

"Kevin E. Ramsey" wrote:

>     Stephen Powell, RPT wrote;      As I understand it, Yamaha
> dries the wood in their pianos to an EMC appropriate for the
> region that it is to be shipped to. For instance, a piano that
> is going to be shipped to the Southwest U.S., would probably
> have about a 4% moisture content. The problem is when a piano
> is meant to be used in one climate, but ends up in another. I
> used to live near a military installation, ( Twenty Nine Palms
> Marine Corp Air Combat Center, CA.), and I would see a few
> pianos that had been purchased in Okinawa, Japan, or Guam. They
> were nearly new when I saw them, but believe me, they didn't
> like the desert!  Kevin E. Ramsey
> ramsey@extremezone.com

Personally, it is my personal type view that the problem is
nothing more then complicated then the public at large, and for
that matter a significant amount of tooner / techs havent got the
foggiest idea what a piano really is.  For so very very many a
piano is simply something that has all these black and white keys
(preferably all of them) and makes this kind of noise when you
push down on one of them. Oh yeah... sometimes you need to call
some guy.... (are there girls that do this stuff too ???, can you
really make a living at this ???) to come and toone it.

If people knew, or cared enough to know, how to take care of an
instrument made largely of wood, then none of this kind of stuff
would be a significant problem. In most cases its easy enough to
provide a decent and appropriate climate for a piano.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.