Grey-market Yamaha U1

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 21:42:02 -0500

Judging from the posts that I have read on this List over time, and Yamaha's
stance and practices regarding this issue, it appears clear to me that
Yamahas manufactured for the North American market do well in most all North
American locations. The grey market pianos appear to do well in humid
locations, such as here if Florida. RARELY do we see a relative humidity in
a home of less than 40%. All the negative statements I have heard from North
American piano technicians are those that live in New Mexico (the dry
southwest), and places that get real cold in winter (humidity is low, and
then the heat goes on!) where home relative humidities get real low.

I recently put a Damp-Chaser dehumidifier system on a grey market  Yamaha C3
(1970 something) in excellent condition. Piano has been in Florida for at
least a long time. Really, really, nice piano. I told her all about the grey
market stuff (I did the pre-purchase inspection for her). She and her
husband are military and move every few years. When I put the system on, I
purposely left a central location for the humidifier tank installation for
when they move (she thought they may be headed for North Dakota next). She
wanted me to install the tank (even if they don't use it in Florida), and I
told her to have a qualified tech in Drydom, USA install it when they get
there (I have never installed one!).

I should think it wise to be sure to have a good full Damp-Chaser
installation on any of these grey market jobs in a dry location - full back
cover (or undercover on a grand), etc.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida