rim supported soundboards tesnion resonator rods

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 06 Feb 2001 06:43:59 -0600

> The interesting part of
>the debate to me is whether this is an efficacious way of maintaining the
>crown.
>I am not sure anyone knows, unless they are/have actually used it.

Simple enough. If it worked that way, none of us would ever have found a
flat or negative crowned board in a Mason & Hamlin. It's only a mystery if
you haven't checked. The M&H advertising department is still pushing this
"concept" of crown retention, but their engineers know better.

>    I wonder if makers have put soundboards by themselves in a room with
>variable humidity and measured dimensional changes, the arch in
>particular.  ---ric

Yes, makers have, and of course, the crown changes with humidity changes.

Ron N