Pathetic Monster Piano

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 22:52:20 -0500

I tuned a Kawai GS-100 today. It is a 9 ft. grand made in 1989. It is at a
University. It is beat. Key downweight in the 60 to 75 gram range, false
beats abounding throughout tenor and up, bass sounds like, like, something
I've never heard before - totally metallic. It was real hard to tune for the
false beats. The guy who watches over it told me he wanted it tuned because
several professors from the music department were going to play on it and
last week they said it could use some tuning.

If music professors are playing this piano, I would imagine there would be
some interest in having the piano work and sound good. How do you go about
educating the piano dude to let him know that his piano is operating at
about 25% and that he could do a Stanwood action job, fix the loose bridge
pins, restring the piano for perhaps $6000 and likely have a very nice
piano? This would be reletively easy for me if the piano were 80 years old.
But on an 11 year old piano? But there it is, in all its sub-mediocrity.

I hate the idea of one of these professors even knowing that I touched the
piano because anyone that knows what a nice piano is like would be horrified
by this thing (IMHO). What on earth happens to these pianos in just 11
years. Before I looked up the age, I guess the piano was about 25 years old.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com