S&S sustenuto: Help!

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 19:35:09 -0500

Dear List:
I am looking for a "fail safe" step by step procedure for regulating
the Steinway sustenuto system. Got one you'd like to post?
I'm knee deep in trouble after deciding to tweak the damper lift on a
~12 year old S&S M. The dampers (especially the bass) were engaging
immediately, so I thought it clearly was time to set more normal
damper lift (and the customer told me "our accompanist says the touch
is too heavy, Pat!"). That, however, was when I discovered the
trichord wedges were so long they interfered with the string envelope
-- and the scissors I had were a bit dull, and I was running out of
time anyways. So I set a slightly better damper lift than what I
started with, and proceeded with the tuning which is what I thought I
was there for in the first place ... I had some dampers hanging a bit
on the sus rod, but made some slight in-out adjustments, and felt
that everything was AOK.
Well, it turns out that I was overly optimistic, and got a call that
there were some ringing bass dampers, and the violin & clarinet
players who own the piano have got *alot* of rehearsal with their
pianists accompanists planned, starting Wednesday.
I went back to the piano today, with the appropriate gauges at hand
and S&S service manual handy, and have spent way too much time going
back & forth between Scylla & Charbidis. When using the S&S sustenuto
tab gauge I found the rod lip was way too high. I wasn't having any
luck bending it downward, and used a cardboard shim to lower the
position of the rod.
Meanwhile I have called another tech to go with me tomorrow to take
another look at it. Wish me luck!
But like I said, a *very* clear procedure outline would help me immensely.
Jeez I'm too young to have Alzheimer's!

TIA,
Patrick Draine