Tuning Stability & Collapsed Soundboard

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Mon, 05 Feb 2001 02:35:02 -0600

Hi Marshall,
                  Once the board has gone as bad as you describe, there is
only
one real solution, replace the board.
A few questions to confirm your diagnosis.
Did you measure compound bearing to confirm bridge roll?
Did  you measure the crown of the board, and how? To confirm the collapse.
Is the board still glued to the inner rim? If not it may be fixable, but don't
hold your breath.
Are the inner and outer rims, securely glued together? I have encountered two
pianos where the rims separated and gave the exact symptoms you describe. Both
instruments were fixed. and are holding up just fine.
In both cases, the rim let go at the first treble curve.  the rims were
epoxyed
and doweled back together.
You need to get creative in making clamping cauls, to get things aligned and
brought back together.
Relative to the other problems, it was not such an expensive fix.Thin West
System Epoxy was used as adhesive.

To answer your other questions:
Beside tuning stability problems, expect poor sustain, and false beats from
the
forward bridge pins.
The value has been relegated to a high priced Rebuilders special, with this
kind of problem. Providing it has a good action and case.
I'm guessing, but it probably will cost $7,000 to replace the board.
Hope this may help you.
Regards Roger