Down-Bearing for Old Board ESTEYaND RODS

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 04 Feb 2001 09:29:55 -0600

>I don't understand your basis for saying "The crown is maintained by the
>ribs, regardless of rim movement."

Simple. A crown isn't an end supported arch. An assembled board will be
nicely crowned and support considerable weight before it's even glued to
the rim. It's self contained. The rim didn't make the crown in the first
place, nor maintain it in the long run. Do the math and report back the
difference between the chord (rib length) of an arc segment (panel) 48"
long and 0.25" high (crown), and one 48" long, and 0.01" high. Then check
the archives and read the tens of thousands of words of explanation to all
the already offered counter arguments.

>But certainly if the rim did spread out a bit, it would tend to flatten the
>board. So I should think the rods would help maintain crown. Yes? No?

No.

Ron N