Replace Termite Eaten Keybed

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 4 Feb 2001 08:30:51 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <RNossaman@KSCABLE.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 03, 2001 11:08 PM
Subject: Re: Replace Termite Eaten Keybed

> >I know I probably ask too many questions, but I have a 1920s small Knabe
> >grand in my shop. It was at a local hospital ready to fall over on
someone
> >so they had me take it. I told them I would give them an estimate to
repair
> >the legs. I see now that the piano will definately need a complete new
> >keybed, if not more. Both ends of the bed are like a dried up sponge. If
> >was feeling real aggressive, I could likely remove the keybed without any
> >tools. I was thinking at least 20 hours labor plus materials. Maybe more
if
> >the case is significantly damaged. Anyone have a little input?
> >
> >I realize also, that they may decide to just trash the piano.
> >
> >Terry Farrell
>
> He's quoting himself in new posting/repeat/reply queries. I recognize this
> as desperation (experience - plain and simple).

How is that said? "You hit the nail right on the head!" Yea, that's it!
Desparate times require desparate measures!

> While I haven't yet had to
> replace a keybed, the 20 hours figure plus materials strikes me as a
> realistic start. Actually, the second one would probably be a fifteen hour
> job, with the first being a 30+ hour educational experience, so the 20
hour
> estimate will probably serve to nearly break even on heating the shop
after
> rendering the appropriate sacrifice to the Gods of continuing education.

If I did not believe in heavy sacrifice to these Gods, I don't know what I
would do with myself. Probably go tune pianos (even that needs some serious
sacrifice)!

> In
> other words, the first one will eat your lunch, but you will be gloriously
> overqualified by the first experience, if a second ever comes along.

That's what I keep telling myself.......someday I'll be qualified......

> I know this doesn't really help, but it's the best I've got to offer.

Actually, it helps quite a bit. I have no idea how many hours it will take.
I realize you may not have much more of an informed opinion. But this way I
can put a number on a proposal, sleep well at night, and if they don't go
for it, figure it's their problem! Thanks!  :-)

> Ron N

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida